Sunday, July 5, 2009

Mr. Monk and the Rubber Room - Teaser

Over the past year, I took a TV writing course as a part of my MFA in Creative Writing through the University of British Columbia. During that course, we studied the art of writing teleplays, and during the course we produced a spec script, and an original pilot spec. A spec script is a TV writer's calling card, as it is what shows the agents and TV execs that you can actually write, and write well. A spec is a script is also based on an existing television show, and the reason for this is that if you can show that you have captured the tone and feel of a show that is not yours, then you can theoretically write for any show.

I don't believe I'll ever be a TV writer, as much as I'd like to be, because family commitments prevent me from trying to climb that ladder. But still, I found I enjoyed writing this form.

What follows is not fan fiction, I want to be clear about that, but is my own original spec script for the show Monk.


INT. SUNNYLAND RETREAT NIGHT

KEN is in his room, madly scribbling in his journal. He is VISIBLY AGITATED, muttering to himself, and sweating. He is sitting at a desk, with one lamp on, and the rest of the room is dark. He hears the SOUND OF FOOTSTEPS near his door, and the jangle of keys in the lock. He rips the page he had been writing on out of his journal, rushes over to the dresser, pushes against it, and slips the page under. The sound of a creak is heard as the door opens, and he whips around, trips and falls on the floor only to see TWO SHADOWS APPEAR. The shadows are still, inches away from Ken's face, now fully bathed in the light from the hall. Ken LOOKS UP.

VOICE (O.S.)
I hear you've become quite the detective.

KEN is motionless with fear. His voice quavers as he speaks.

KEN
I know what you did. I know what you're doing.

A SHADOW steps forward menacingly.

VOICE (O.S.)
And what do you think you know?

KEN
You won't get away with it.

The light illuminating Ken's face is replaced by shadow.

VOICE (O.S.)
And who are you going to tell? Where are you going to go?

KEN starts shaking. His voice is almost a whisper.

KEN
Please. I'm sorry. I won't tell.

VOICE (O.S.)
That's right. You won't.

FADE TO BLACK

No comments:

Post a Comment