Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Mr. Monk and the Rubber Room - Act I, Part 2

Over the past year, I took a TV writing course as a part of my MFA in Creative Writing through the University of British Columbia. During that course, we studied the art of writing teleplays, and during the course we produced a spec script, and an original pilot spec. A spec script is a TV writer's calling card, as it is what shows the agents and TV execs that you can actually write, and write well. A spec is a script is also based on an existing television show, and the reason for this is that if you can show that you have captured the tone and feel of a show that is not yours, then you can theoretically write for any show.

I don't believe I'll ever be a TV writer, as much as I'd like to be, because family commitments prevent me from trying to climb that ladder. But still, I found I enjoyed writing this form.

What follows is not fan fiction, I want to be clear about that, but is my own original spec script for the show Monk.


EXT. SUNNYLAND RETREAT - DAY

Natalie's car pulls up to a building at the end of a roundabout driveway. Monk, Natalie, and Mrs. Casey get out of the car. Monk looks up at the building.

MONK
Natalie, what type of place did you say this was?

NATALIE
It's uh...a...

MRS. CASEY
A retreat. It's a retreat. For rest and recovery.

MONK
Rest and recovery?

Monk looks suspicious.

MONK (CONT'D)
Natalie...

Monk spins and grabs at the car. Natalie whips out her keys, and hits the automatic lock button..

MONK (CONT'D)
Natalie. Unlock the door, please.

NATALIE
Mr. Monk. We have to help Mrs. Casey.

MONK
Now that I think of it, I have a lot to do.

Monk looks over at Mrs. Casey.

MONK (CONT'D)
I'd love to help you, it' just that I've got a lot to do right now. I have a lot on my plate.

NATALIE
No you don't!

MONK
Open the door, Natalie.

NATALIE
Mr. Monk.

MONK
Natalie.

NATALIE
No.

MONK
I'm ordering you...I can always find another assistant.

NATALIE
Fat chance, Mr. Monk.

Monk looks at Natalie's keys. The he runs toward Natalie. Natalie circles the car, maintaining her distance.

NATALIE (CONT'D)
You're not getting the keys, Mr. Monk.

MONK
Do you know what this place is?!

NATALIE
It's a retreat.

MONK
A retreat? It's a loony bin! Do you know what happened the last time I went into one of these places? Someone tried to kill me!

Mrs. Casey's looks agitated.

MRS. CASEY
Well unlike you, my son wasn't so lucky. It's not like you're going to be a patient.

Natalie looks surprised.

NATALIE
Uh...okay...

MRS. CASEY
What's wrong with you anyway? You're a grown man and you act like a child!

Monk looks surprised.

MRS. CASEY (CONT'D)
Well? Some time today?

Natalie and Monk share a confused look.

INT. SUNNYLAND FOYER - DAY

Natalie, Monk, and Mrs. Casey are seated in the foyer. Monk fidgets, looks around. Natalie puts her hand on his arm. An elevator opens. A doctor and a Japanese nurse exit. Mrs. Casey spots the doctor and jumps up.

MRS. CASEY
Doctor Randall! Over here!

Doctor Randall smiles a big, fake smile, and says something inaudible to the nurse. The nurse leaves.

DOCTOR RANDALL
Mrs. Casey! It's so good to see you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Doctor Randall walks over. Monk and Natalie stand.

DOCTOR RANDALL (CONT'D)
Is this you family?

He holds out his hand to Monk.

DOCTOR RANDALL (CONT'D)
Hi. I'm Doctor Randall. I'm sorry for your loss.

They shake. Monk asks Natalie for a wipe.

MONK
I'm not family.

Doctor Randall looks confused.

DOCTOR RANDALL
Oh! So...

NATALIE
We're here to look into Ken's death. We just came to have a look around his room.

Doctor Randall nods his head.

DOCTOR RANDALL
I see. I wish I could help you, but it's an official crime scene, and I have strict orders from the police.

Doctor Randall shrugs.

NATALIE
Actually, we're with the police. Mr. Monk is a private investigator working with the San Francisco police department.

DOCTOR RANDALL
I'm sorry. I'd love to believe you, but...

Randy arrives.

RANDY
Hey Monk. Sorry, I got caught up with stottlemeyer. Thanks for coming.

Doctor Randall tenses up. Mrs. Casey stares at the doctor.

Monk, Natalie, and Randy move towards the elevator

MRS. CASEY
(Pleading)
Doctor Randall, can I talk you for a minute, please?

Monk, Natalie, and Randy stop and watch. Doctor Randall seems nervous.

DOCTOR RANDALL
I'm sorry. I'm really busy right now. I...

MRS. CASEY
It'll just be for a minute. I just...I need your help...if you could just help me...

Doctor Randall backs away, and moves towards the others.

DOCTOR RANDALL
Like I said. I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do.

Monk and Natalie look at Randy, who shrugs his shoulders.

There is a loud commotion at the entrance of the foyer. There are several elderly women, agitated and angry.

OLD WOMAN #1
Hey! Who's the idiot who blocked the driveway?

OLD WOMAN #2
Move it so we can get our bus through!

Natalie gasps.

NATALIE
Oh my god. That's my car. I'll meet you up there Mr. Monk. I just have to move the car.

Natalie is embarrassed. She leaves. Randy pulls out his cell phone and reads a text message.

RANDY
Sorry. I gotta go. Stottlemeyer needs to see me again. I'll catch you when I come back, Monk.

Randy shakes his head.

RANDY (CONT'D)
If you want some advice. Don't ever get stottlemeyer a Blackberry for a birthday gift. He'll take over your life.

Randy walks off. As he goes, Mrs. Casey walks over to Doctor Randall and Monk.

DOCTOR RANDALL
I'm sorry, but I can't let you come up with us.

Doctor Randall away. Mrs. Casey looks devastated. The Doctor and Monk walk to the elevator. As the doors close, Doctor Randall smiles his big fake smile at Monk, who pretend smiles back.

INT. SUNNYLAND INPATIENT WING - DAY
Monk is looking around Ken's room.

DOCTOR RANDALL
The other officer said it looked like an open and shut case. A clear case of suicide.

MONK
Mm..hmm..

Monk bends down, looks at the carpet. There is a tape outline of the body.

DOCTOR RANDALL
My staff have all given statements, which support the suicide finding. Ken was just more disturbed than we thought.

Monk nods, keeps looking around the room.

DOCTOR RANDALL (CONT'D)
He saved up his medication and overdosed on it.

Monk looks over at Doctor Randall.

MONK
And how do they know that?

DOCTOR RANDALL
It was written in the suicide note. As I said, Ken was a very disturbed person. Very anti-social, with violent tendencies.

Monk looks skeptical.

DOCTOR RANDALL (CONT'D)
Though mostly of the self-inflicted kind. I felt sorry for him, but there was nothing to be done. He was committed indefinitely...
(Beat)

DOCTOR RANDALL (CONT'D)
So this was probably his only way out. A real tragedy.

Monk nods.

MONK
Yeah. It was probably a suicide.

Monk starts to leave, but then stops.

MONK (CONT'D)
Did you say he was committed indefinitely? And that he was violent?

Doctor Randall nods.

MONK (CONT'D)
Well, his mother claims Ken was peaceful, she said it was all a mistake. That he was coming home its weekend.

Doctor Randall shakes his head ruefully and responds.

DOCTOR RANDALL
Mothers often only see good in their children. And patients like Ken often invent positive scenarios for themselves, to help them get through the day.

The Japanese nurse from the foyer arrives, shares a look with the doctor. Monk doesn't see her. He Stands by the dresser, and bends down.

MONK
There's dirt here.

DOCTOR RANDALL
I doubt that. Rooms are cleaned daily.
Doctor Randall looks grim, no longer smiling.

MONK
Which means this dresser was moved.

Monk crouches down.

MONK (CONT'D)
There's something here.

Monk pushes tilts the dresser, and pulls out a piece of paper. He looks at the paper, and reads for a moment. Then his head snaps up in realization.

MONK (CONT'D)
It was murder.

As Monk starts to stand, he is hit on the head with a heavy object, and falls, unconscious, to the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment